Sell Art OnlineAs Easter is approaching please keep in mind that Lily Plants/Flowers are Poisonous to pets!

The peace lily, also known as the Mauna Loa plant, contain insoluble crystals of calcium oxalate that are in bundles called raphites. Chewing or biting into the plant releases the crystals which penetrate tissue resulting in injury. When dogs or cats ingest peace lilies, clinical signs may be seen immediately and include pawing at face (secondary to oral pain), drooling, foaming, and vomiting. Moderate to severe swelling of the lips, tongue, oral cavity, and upper airway may also be seen, making it difficult to breathe or swallow.

The peace lily does NOT result in acute kidney failure when ingested, and is different from more dangerous types of lilies that cause kidney failure (e.g., Easter, day, Asiatic, Japanese show, Tiger lilies).

RESOURCES/LINKS:

Symptoms and Treatment {from the nest}

ASPCA site with Peace Lily information

24 Poisonous Plants to Pets

 

Share