Strawberry, Quinoa, and Ricotta Salata Salad
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small dried red chile, broken in half
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 qt. loosely packed watercress (about 1 1/2 bunches, trimmed to about 5 in. long)
- 1 1/2 cups quartered or halved strawberries
- 1 large Persian cucumber or 1/4 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 small spring onion bulb or 2 green onions, cut into 2-in. slivers
- 1/4 pound ricotta salata or feta cheese, thinly sliced
INGREDIENTS – DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped strawberries
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- About 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
1. Make salad: Heat oil with chile and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add quinoa and toast, stirring often, until it starts to turn golden in spots, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in 2/3 cup water, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit 5 minutes, then pour quinoa onto a plate and let cool. Discard chile.
2. Meanwhile, put remaining salad ingredients except for cheese in a wide bowl and set aside.
3. Make dressing: In a small bowl, combine 2 tsp. water with all dressing ingredients except oils. Set aside 10 minutes; whisk in oils.
4. Gently toss quinoa with 2 tbsp. dressing. Spoon onto 4 dinner plates. Mound salad mixture on top and tuck in cheese. Season generously with more pepper and serve with remaining dressing to add to salads.
Amount per serving
- Calories 328
- Caloriesfromfat 62 %
- Protein 8.9 g
- Fat 23 g
- Satfat 7.7 g
- Carbohydrate 18 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Sodium 307 mg
- Cholesterol 7 mg