Basil Pesto (Martha Stewart)
I grow my own Basil plants and love this recipe from Martha Stewart for Basil Pesto. I always make mine with Pine Nuts and Garlic Infused Olive Oil instead of adding the garlic gloves.
- 1 cup pine nuts (or walnuts)
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 8 cups (4 ounces) lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I use a little less)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread nuts evenly on a rimmed baking sheet; toast in oven until golden and fragrant, tossing once, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil; add basil, and submerge with a spoon. Immediately drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water until cool, then pat basil completely dry in paper towels.
- In a food processor, combine nuts, basil, and garlic; season generously with salt and pepper. Process until nuts are finely chopped. With machine running, pour oil in a steady stream through the feed tube; process until smooth. Use immediately, or freeze.
There are some great how-to videos on Martha Stewarts Website on the Basil Pesto Recipe (lower right hand side).